Sunday 29 March 2015

Not achieving your goal? Take the pressure down a notch.

I used to tie myself up into a very tight knot when I wasn't making headway toward a goal.
These days, I still waste energy this way, but I have a trick to help me out.

You know the proverb, a watched kettle never boils? Stop watching the kettle. That's it, in a nutshell. Take away the pressure. Focus on a part of your life where you *can* make progress. Let go!

I'll illustrate. My friend is an experienced runner. He's fit, slim and exceptionally strong. Several years ago, he decided he would run his first marathon. He was in great shape for it, and it seemed a no-brainer -- except for one thing: every time he upped his mileage to the prescribed pre-marathon distances, he got shin splints. And every time he got shin splints, they were so painful, they sabotaged his plans to run a marathon. 

One day, my friend decided his approach wasn't working. Instead of running himself into the ground or giving up on his goal, he put the marathon on hold, took his workouts down several notches, and found new and absorbing things to focus on.

He learned to play the guitar and volunteered to help a Somali refugee get established in Canada. At the same time, slowly and gently, and without the pressure of a deadline, he built up his strength and stamina.

One year, one musical skill and a minimum of one friend richer, my friend ran his first marathon. Guess what? No shin splints.

What about you? Do you have a goal you want to meet and can't seem to? Could you drop the deadline for now and focus on another area of your life where you *are* making progress?

2 comments:

  1. Shin splints are aweful.I suffered shin splints for almost 10 years. It was so painful experience. You need appropriate exercise program for this kind of problem. If you want you can find useful information at never-never-never-give-up dotcom Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I agree. I also had shin splints, though only for a year, and I so missed running. I've had a look at http://never-never-never-give-up.com. Good for you for taking the initiative to understand what was causing your shin splints and for figuring out how to solve the underlying problems rather than simply mitigating the symptoms.

      Delete